Wednesday, July 09, 2008

4th of July

The 4th of July, Independence Day, is a great opportunity for us Europeans to see how putting a flag out in your yard or in front of your house is NOT necessarily a demonstration of right-wing extremism but can simply be a way to celebrate your country. We took a bike ride near where we live and witnessed the following displays...

You can do the American flag the cute way:
The classic way: The pro-Bush way: The 'I like flags so much I put them all around my house' way:
Or the 'I only had one really big flag so I hung it from my roof' way:

In the evening, we went to see the fireworks, which were apparently the largest land-based display in the US (yes, this is Texas so they have to have the biggest one!


4 comments:

Barbara said...

Salut Maylis,
Yes, no one can say that Americans are shy about showing their pride!
A very interesting display.
Of course, a Texas fireworks show has to be BIG !
I'm sure that you had a good time.

Bises.

Joyce Hopewell said...

I enjoyed that! Even more so because I could picture the area you live in, having been there! And I would have loved that firework display - could it have been even better than the Hogmanay fireworks on Calton Hill...??!

godeleine said...

coucou
eh bien on constate que les américains sont fidèles à leur réputation... patriotisme à fond!!
Bah nous en guise de fête nationale ça a été feu d'artifice à fort Mahon, c'est bien aussi...

bisous

Céline said...

Et vous, quel drapeau avez-vous choisi ???