Monday, February 26, 2007

My citizen duty

Today's outing involved a little visit to the French Consulate in Edinburgh. Before being admitted into this temple to the French state and its paperwork, you have to get past a large guard who asks you if you are French. A simple 'yes I am' seems to be enough to be allowed in. I assume you need a good reason to enter if you are not lucky enough to belong to the Hexagon.

Anyway, my reason to go there was to organise for a 'procuration', or vote by proxy, to be arranged. So my mother will have the honour of putting the name of my chosen candidate in the ballot box in Bougainville for the forthcoming presidential and parliamentary elections.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Maylis,
How are you doing?
Well, just passing one guard sounds pretty tame. To go through the US consulate in Paris, it's a series of stops... first is Security outside, then, security inside, with the bags that go through radar.

I probably should think again about the possibility of voting in the next Presdential elections...
It's been a long time since I last voted.

Have a nice day & see you soon.

L'enfant expatrie said...

Ben moi pas envie de voter, deja, j'y comprends rien aux differents candidats et en plus, ca fait tellement longtemps qu'on n'y vit plus qu'on n'est plus au courant des besoins, donc on n'ira pas. (pis en plus, on n'est pas encore enregistres au consulat de NYC)