4 books I read as a child:
-Lots of 'Tintin' stories, which used to belong to my mum as a child, and so were at my grandparents' place. My sisters and I used to read those a lot when we went there!
-'Les Miserables' (abridged version!!), which I read when I was about 9. Still, it was in two volumes (clever little me ;-) ), and still is a story I love.
-The French translation of James Herriot's book on his life as a vet in England.
-Lots of other things, from a beautifully illustrated Cinderella story, to kids' magazines and fairytales.
4 authors that I will read and re-read :
-Sebastien Japrisot: I discovered him when I read 'Un long dimanche de fiancailles' ('A very long engagement')and have since read quite a few more. I can recommend particularly 'L'ete meurtrier' and 'Piege pour Cendrillon', but all his books are really very good as far as I can tell! They're basically murder stories, but told in a very novel-like way, and full of suspense.
-Philippe Claudel ('Les Ames grises', 'La petite fille de Mr Linh' etc). Superb!
-Amelie Nothomb ('Metaphysique des tubes', 'Antechrista', 'Biographie de la faim'...)
-The travel writer Bill Bryson. You can always count on him for a funny way to look at things!


4 authors whose books I would not buy or borrow any more
mmm difficult one... There are a few books over the years that I never finished, but maybe more because of lack of time/lazyness than because they were no good. Mind you, I should probably list here authors like Pascal, Kant or other (yawn) philosophers, who I was forced to read in school but didn't exactly found enthralling... (to say the least).
4 books that I would take on a deserted island :
Well I guess they would have to be quite long to keep me occupied!
-So I could take 'les Bienveilantes', which I am reading at the moment, as being on a deserted island would give me a chance to finish it (900 pages).
-Maybe the Bible, to read it properly.
-Something practical, like a book on edible plants and how to cook them.
-I think I'd love to re-read Japrisot's 'Un long dimanche de fiancailles'.
The first 4 books on my “ to read list “ :
Well, haven't really thought of that one, as I am on page 205 of 'Les Bienveillantes' and thus won't have to think about anything else for a while.
-However the husband encourages me to read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel.
-I would certainly like 'Stupeurs et Tremblements' by Amelie Nothomb.
-'La Possibilite d'une Ile', by Michel Houellebecq.
-More Japrisot!
The last words of one of my favourite books :
I don't have a copy of 'Un long dimanche de fiancailles' with me, but I am pretty sure it ends like this:
"Elle le regarde. Elle le regarde. Elle le regarde".
3 comments:
Hi again Maylis,
Thank you for participating in this game.
It is interesting seeing different authors and getting ideas for future readings.
I have not read most of your selected authors . I did see the film, "un long dimanche de fiancailles" and I just loved it.
This will be an incentive to discover the author.
When you will be in Texas, you will be able to go to book shops like Barnes & Noble or Borders.
Oh the luxury of those bookshops with the coffee shops inside !
Have a nice weekend and see you soon :)
Thanks for your comment Barbara. I do encourage you to read Japrisot, 'Un long dimanche de fiancailles' is such an awesome story, and really well-written.
Is it translated into English? It sounds a very good one to read, but my French would not be up to it, I guess! Hugh is right about "Life of Pi" - it's definitely one to read and think about. Also "The Kite Runner" by Kahled Hosseini for a very moving human tale and insights into life in Afghanistan.
Post a Comment