Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A Wedding

On Saturday, I was a witness at a wedding for the first time ever! My ex-colleague and boss, Ingrid, tied the knot in a civil ceremony in Edinburgh before doing the big church wedding this summer.

I found the whole experience very moving, especially as they had decided that they wanted a very small wedding. So it was just the bride and groom, me, a 2nd witness and the registrar. I even had to go out on the street to pick a 2nd witness, as Ingrid had been told she would be able to ask one of the registration office's employees, but this turned out to be untrue. So after asking a couple of people who were in a hurry I spotted a young man who looked like a tourist and asked him if he would have a few minutes to serve as a witness for the wedding. He turned out to be Russian, which added even more spice to this unusual wedding!

Here are a few photos to give you a flavour of the day:

The bride and groom, the Russian witness and me:



Ingrid and Laurent just after the ceremony:



And a photo I took in Princes Street Gardens (did I mention that I was official photographer of the event? ;-))



Edit from later on: it has been pointed out to me that 'the Russian' had no name! Can you give it a guess? It is a VERY Russian name!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'est un mariage original !Ils ont l'air bien heureux, je leur souhaite tout le bonheur possible !

Anonymous said...

Pour notre témoin russe je propose :
1/Ivan Rebroff
2/Erik Smirnof
3/Vladimir Popovitch
4/Igor Oulianov
5/Paul Dupont
Alors??? Je suis proche de la solution???? Je fonde de gros espoirs sur le n°5, un excellent outsider !

Barbara said...

Hi Maylis,
That is moving to be asked to be a witness for a friend's wedding. That's very special :)
That was also special that you found a second witness in a "man on the street ", in this case a nice Russian fellow.
He had something to tell the boys at home !
See you soon, Maylis.
My Congratulations to the newlyweds.!!

Joyce Hopewell said...

Lovely photos belle-fille! ;-)
And what a special occasion too. I think the Russian's name is Vladimir. Am I right?!

Maylis said...

Nope, nobody's right so far for the name!! Let's give people a clue: Russian alphabet.

Anonymous said...

Là je sèche ! Je sais que c'est l'alphabet cyrillique et c'est tout ! Je donne ma langue au chat !

Maylis said...

Bon bon on va dire que Celine a gagne... alphabet cyrillique --> le gars s'appelle Cyrille. C'est d'un logique implacable non?

Anonymous said...

YOUPI ! Suis contente ! et c'est quoi le prix????